www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Sep 28, 2024 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:15 pm 
Sting Ray

Hello I have used my VISTA 278 this weekend and is all new to me, i used the manual head and after and when I pumped water in the head , lots of water is coming out from the head vent starboard side. Also i try to use the macerator I tought that maybe the holding tank is full (which is very strange because I used it only 3 times) any help please

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:24 pm 
Shark

I have a 278 built in 2006 with a Dometic Ecovac toilet and vacuum system. Yours might be the same, other options were available from the factory.
My system looks like this except the holding tank is under the mid cabin floor and the vacuum generator is in the engine compartment.

The vacuum generator has some moving parts, duck bill valves, bellows and a pressure switch. I find that flushing liquid soap or dishwashing liquid through the system keeps these parts flexible and is better than any magic solutions from the boat shop.

After flushing or turning the system on do you hear the vacuum generator run for 15 seconds or more to build up pressure? Do you have access to a dockside pump-out system or can you go offshore for discharge from the seacock? It would be good to have a clean start before checking out the system.

I have just read your message again, you have a manual head? Please ignore my comments if it's not a Ecovac.

Last edited by jfair on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:37 pm 
Shark

The Ecovac toilet system owner's manual can be found here:
http://media.channelblade.com/EProWebsi ... manual.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm 
email admin your custom rank

kitos wrote:
Hello I have used my VISTA 278 this weekend and is all new to me, i used the manual head and after and when I pumped water in the head , lots of water is coming out from the head vent starboard side. Also i try to use the macerator I tought that maybe the holding tank is full (which is very strange because I used it only 3 times) any help please

Have you had it pumped out??

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:39 pm 
Sting Ray

I have not pumped out since there are no services available. The macerator seems working because there it sounds but i cannot tell if it pumped out. could it be there is air?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:19 am 
Shark

If you have access to the top of your holding tank but there's no easy way to see inside it, install a small inspection plate. This will give you a chance to see the exact level of any fluid inside. A small captive bung works too. Ideal for ongoing maintenance. If the holding tank is under the floor of the mid cabin you might need a plate to get through the wood floor and another in the tank top. A dipstick is more reliable than an electronic tank monitor any day.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:43 am 

If you can hear the macerator but it is not emptying, you might need to check for any valves in the system to see if they are closed to the macerator. Some locations (especially in the U.S.) they prohibit using a macerator until 3 miles offshore in the ocean. In my U.S. Great Lakes area they valves are required to be physically closed and locked so it can't be used and only a pumpout can be used.

Previous:97 245 Sundowner 5.7GI/SX

Tow vehicle: 1986 GMC 2500 Camper Special 454/TH400

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:15 pm 
Sting Ray

i have checked and only 1 seacock there is . the noise of the pump is not very loud, could it be clogged? or maybe air?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:27 pm 

kitos wrote:
I have not pumped out since there are no services available. The macerator seems working because there it sounds but i cannot tell if it pumped out. could it be there is air?

You would know if it was being pumped!! You would smell it and see it in the water! It is too bad that there is no pump out service were you are.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm 
Sting Ray

unfortuantly i think the pump is not working. i hear it but does not pump out. does it is servicable? does in need cleaning?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:45 pm 

kitos wrote:
unfortuantly i think the pump is not working. i hear it but does not pump out. does it is servicable? does in need cleaning?

Were are you from?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 pm 
Sting Ray

From Malta !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:39 am 
Shark

If this situation occurred on my boat, I would unhook the wiring to the macerator and disconnect the inlet and outlet hoses (if the boat was in the water, making sure that the hose to the seacock can not admit water).
I would then check that the hoses were not blocked as far as I could see or probe. Most macerators have sealed electric motors with the pump/grinding mechanism accessible via an end plate.
Can't hurt to have a look and check things out.
The next step is to put up a sign in the head, "Nothing but body wastes and approved marine/RV single ply toilet paper, NO Kleenex, paper towels or anything else". Marine toilets work great but unapproved matter will soon block the pipe system which is much narrower than a household drain. If the boat we are talking about has just changed hands there's no telling what has been fed in to the system.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 pm 
Sting Ray

Problem solved. The waste holding tank was full and was not pumping out due to discharge pump. I have dismantled the pump to check if it is clogged and found that the valve kit were mounted wrong. Did the correct and works fine. Emptied holding tank very quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:46 am 
Shark

what do you mean by valve kit mounted wrong?