www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2024 11:58 am 
Tadpole

88 Fourwins 205 sundowner 4.3 omc cobra 4bbl won't rev past 4k unless I unplug the esa - then it runs strong, just won't shift...

2020 when I had the motor out for transom replacement, I fitted a new cdi esa
123-9898-P since my original hadn't worked for awhile.

2022 I finally finished my project and tried to do some boating but couldn't go over 3500 rpm in the water. Tried tune up, new fuel since the boat sat 2 years, eventually put it on the back burner.

2023 installed new carb - no change. That is when I realized I could duplicate the concern on the trailer. I also found that if I disconnected the 2 pin connector for esa the boat ran great. Unplugging just the switches doesn't help. Contacted CDI (now they charge $35 for 30 mins of advice), they said sounds like a bad esa module, too old to warranty, good luck. They also recommended switching to a cdi 123-9800. I ordered one and installed - no change. Then I swapped in my original ign coil I had replaced years before and it seemed somewhat better. I figured maybe the replacement coil had some resistance issue (cdi says they need 3 ohms) and I gently used the boat a few times - stalled a few times idling in gear, didn't like to go fast...

2024 - I really want to be able to buy replacement coils without fear they will not work. I bought and installed pertronix unit to replace points, installed their recommended flame thrower coil 3 ohms and ran a new wire from alternator to bypass the 1.5 ohm resistor wire. Set timing to 6°. The damn boat still won't rev past 4k unless I unplug the esa. What am I missing!?? 13.5v at coil at idle, ballast wire I originally overlaid has now been cut, alternator output on orange wire is .8v higher than output at bottom post that feeds coil/esa only when pertronix is connected - maybe internal alternator issue but I think 13.5v at coil should be enough.

Maybe alternator issue? It does surge past 15v @ 800-1300 rpms. Thought about wiring alternator pos to sense as I've seen mentioned in multiple posts but I have a question about that too, the coil and esa feed off the sense side. Would I move those to the excite side, then run pos to sense?

Overstroke switch taken out of the picture with the switches disconnected?

Sorry for the very long story/ explanation but I'm at the end of my rope here. After doing a transom and stringers I really wanted to enjoy this boat for awhile...

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Well some years back (2015?) I had a similar problem and what I found was this:
the switches have little rubber end pieces that over many years of use, get distorted and in my case seemed to be making the ESA stick on when it was in gear, even with the overstroke switch hooked up. I got new switches and a new ESA (1239898-P) from CDI and it's been fine since then. If yours works ok with the ESA disconnected I am wondering why disconnecting the switches has no effect....are you sure about that. Seems a shame to do all that work and then you can't enjoy it!
I still have the points distributor in mine, I have heard not such good things about Petronix, I don't have an issue with maintaining points, some feel they are more reliable than dodgy electronics. Mine will easily pull to 5,000 RPM with a 15.5x15 prop.
BTW I found that the boat is a good bit heavier than what FW listed in their specs....

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II