Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sat Jun 22, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 258 (newbie)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:50 pm 
Dolphin

Location: Sweden, Northern Europe, close to the arctic circle
Hey everyone

Been lurking for half a year or so. Bought a 258V 2006 with 320hp VP I/O in May. Loving it so far, wife is neutral...kids like it :D

Need to ask some real newbie questions, bear with me...seems like people here have patience and experience :)

Anyone know an online source for the midcabin window latches? One was broken by the p.o.

Anyone changed the stove to something not 100% electric, cant decide what to get? There are combo stoves alcohol/electric, any good or does the compromise mean it isn't great on either "fuel"? We rarely stay overnight with access to shore power.

I find the front hatch where the anchor line goes annoyingly constructed, rainwater runs straight in and although large flows can run out, at the bottom there is always some and everything is always wet and moist, perfect mold growing conditions :( any known solutions?

I hope I didnt ask too many questions at once?

Thanks
Mike

Post subject: Re: 258 (newbie)
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:14 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Welcome to the forum!

I can't speak to the window latch or the the anchor locker latch, but in our previous '99 258, we had an alcohol electric and it worked well in both modes. They are tougher to clean than the glass electric unit but, can't have it all, right?

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:36 pm 

Welcome to the forum. I really can't answer your question but instead of changine out the electric stove why not put the $$$ towards a portable honda generator to run it? I sure you could find more uses for the genny

1997 225 Sundowner

Mike

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:47 pm 

Welcome to the forum. I'm not sure which brand of window you have, but most of the marine supply houses may have something (West Marine.com, Defender.com, Great lakes Skipper.com, and several others). You may have to look and compare pictures to see what you have. Your dealer may be able to help, or you might be able to find out who the manufacturer is (maybe Bomar or ???). Your research might also include a Google search or check eBay.

I had thought of replacing my electric cooktop in my '02 268 with an alcohol/electric (approx. $500), but we bought a Honda EU2000i generator and use it for several situations. This can be a somewhat controversial topic (electricity near water, Carbon Monoxide blowing back in to boat, etc.) and I appreciate all concerns, but caution and awareness can make it an alternative.

I agree that the anchor locker hatch can allow plenty of water to run in, and the locker can retain a bit of water. But when you consider that a significant amount of anchor line will be saturated with water when the anchor is retrieved, moisture in the compartment is common.

As far as the family's feelings about boating, have activities that are fun for everyone and an environment where everyone can get along. Get everyone involved in something on the boat. Bring friends, stop a places to explore, eat, shop, etc. The whole idea is to have a good time.

Current boat: '02 FW 268 Vista
Previous boat: '95 FW 190 Horizon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:24 pm 

Welcome. I'd keep the stove and find a way to run it. We avoided boats that had the alcohol/electric version. I prefer the nice easy to clean cooktop.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:37 pm 
Dolphin

I already have a portable generator but the noise is rather prohibitive...not only for the wife, but other boaters give us the staredown/wave/finger sort of thing... :( it is good to have as a backup in case I run the batteries low, but for cooking...nope.

I might have a pic of the window, will inventory the stocks and see how I can upload somewhere.

The best overnight was actually on a dock where the kids could run around, jump in the water by themselves, I barbiequed and wife could take a stroll and look through the local (island handicraft) mom and pop stores. Good compromise :) Next year need to fix the stove thing, a better ladder down (we anchor with bow to shore a lot) and maybe a small dinghy for the oldest with an electric motor. I'm thinking like an Intex Mariner 3 with 2hp electric will allow him to motor around in the protected coves by himself (7,5yrs old).

Mike

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:45 pm 
Dolphin

Found a photo of the window:

BTW, anyone know how to remove the glass on the lights here in the ceilimg, need to switch bulbs to LED and cant open it up?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:49 pm 
Dolphin

It is a Beckson Port cam latch - thanks for the tips SurfaceInterval :)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:52 pm 

Haddock_ wrote:

BTW, anyone know how to remove the glass on the lights here in the ceilimg, need to switch bulbs to LED and cant open it up?

If they are the same as my 238, I just pryed the clear plastic insert off with a very small screwdriver.

Chris and Alicia
Las Vegas, NV
ALTIVA
1996 Four Winns 238 Vista Dlx 5.8Fi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:36 pm 

I picked up a mint Honda EU2000i for $400. It runs the boat with AC going, plenty of power to spare.

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:48 pm 

For the lights, push up and turn to the left on the silver ring.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:31 am 

The alcohol will smell up the cabin. never mind its flammable.

If your not cooking too much, I would go with a BBQ. It really depends on how much & what you are going to be cooking.

It all has its pros & cons. To do it right, install a genset. Its the safest way! Gensets run off the engines fuel tank.

Portable ones are not made for boats and were do you store the fuel.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:00 am 

Then:

Quote:
Picked up the score of the century at my father's marina. Couple year old Honda EU2000i generator. Some old guy didn't want it because it ran really bad and leaked oil and he purchased a new Yamaha. Sat in his storage for 2-3 years he said and gave it to me for FREE!!!

Total investment? $60 bucks.

Now:

Quote:
I picked up a mint Honda EU2000i for $400. It runs the boat with AC going, plenty of power to spare.

Yeah, I dont know what to believe..... :roll:

Haddock, welcome! I hope you enjoy your boat as much as we have ours. I was looking at the 258 as well when I settled on the 278. I have been running the honda on my boat. You can barely even hear it unless you are running the microwave, in which case it revs up a bit. It is EXTREMELY quiet! What kind of generator do you currently use? The honda is well worth the money for keeping the batteries charged and also for heat and AC. Bliss has the best set up with his inverter/charger and extra battery bank. It is a lot of money, but it is certainly on the To Do list.

2005 Sundowner 205
Columbus, OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:33 am 

Technically my father picked up the eu2000i for free at the marina, some old guy said it didn't run and just purchased a new Yamaha. I paid my father $400 for it. Just needed oil change, new air filters, spark plug, and clean all the little holes in the carb jets. Runs and looks perfect.

You can sit it a foot away and have a normal conversation without effort. If you've never seen one in person it's mind blowing the first time you start it up expecting to wake up the dead like a normal generator, and it just sits there purring like it's not even on. It's actually rated for less dB than my marine AC unit.

I'll get a video tonight. Runs around 8 hours per gallon of gas. If you're worried about gas, it's easily converted to tri-fuel.
http://www.propanecarbs.com/honda_eu200 ... rsion.html

2003 Chaparral 215 SSI - sold
2009 Stingray 195CS - sold
2000 Four Winns H180 - sold
1976 O'day Daysailer II - sold

Rick's Four Winns H180 Mods/Upgrade Thread

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:50 am 

I store my fuel tank for my Yamaha EF200iS on the swim platform. Never had an issue with it. I prefer it to a marine genset, actually. Mainly because it's easier to remove and service when that time comes. It's nice & quiet as well. The benefit to a marine generator would be much less noise and integrated with the ship's systems.
Both my Chap and the FW has a Kenyon alcohol/electric cooktop. The alcohol works good, but the electric is a bit easier. I've never been too much bothered with fumes in the cabin from cooking, but if I were boating in the winter, I'd for sure use electric more.