www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Water pump woes
PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:10 pm 
wkearney99

The fresh water pump on our 348 developed a leak in the upper housing. Seems the flange used to connect the tubing cracked. Turns out the 2004 mfg date makes it too old for new upper housing replacement part to work. So much for my effort to buy that part and just trying to install it.... Grrrr... Wasted a boating day....

So i may have to replace the whole pump. It was a shurflo extreme 5.7 pump. That's a 5gph unit. I'm wondering, do i need that much flow? Because 3 or 4 gph pumps are a helluva lot less expensive. That and the shurflo has it's share of hate online due to the way the diaphragm can leak and ruin the motor. The motor in mine is ok and the rest of the pumping wasnt having problems. But you just KNOW if i rebuild this then something else i it will fail, making me do the work all over again.

Anyway, anyone have other pump sizes or brands and care to share insights?

Post subject: Re: Water pump woes
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:47 am 
email admin your custom rank

You've probably resolved this by now. I have a spare pump - used - if it would help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:09 am 
wkearney99

PM sent.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:35 am 
wkearney99

Finally talked to shurflo. The old pump uses a different style pressure switch configuration. The new wet-end uses a diaphragm with the switch. The old one had the switch plugged into a larger hole and no diaphragm. Tech support tells me if I want to keep using the old pump and switch that it is possible to drill out a new housing to accommodate the old switch. But they don't have the drill diameter. They also tell me it's not possible to retrofit a new switch onto the old pump because it would also entail replacing the speed controller. The cost of a new switch and controller approaches that of a new pump.

So I either roll the dice and drill a whole in the new upper housing, risking $50. Or return it and buy a whole new pump.

There wasn't anything wrong with my old pump, other than the flange cracked. But I just get this nagging feeling that if I attempt the low cost route it's just going to bite me in the ass. No doubt SOMETHING ELSE will go wrong with this pump, know what I mean?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:16 pm 

Bill,

You maybe already know this, but when I talked to shuflo, the new model replacement is 4148-153-E75.

How much are you seeing them for? When I was searching, the first pice I came up with was $352.00. For a little pump?!? NO. After searching a bit, i found them for approx $210.00.

Jabsco also makes a pump in the 5gpm range with the controller so you dont need an accumulator tank, FYI

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:25 pm 
wkearney99

Trouble is I've read the Jabsco is loud. The pump's location is right under the forward berth. I'd want to keep it as quiet as possible.

That and my pump is the 5gph model. The part number you posted is a 4gph unit. Not sure if that's going to give me the same experience.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:03 pm 

wkearney99 wrote:
Trouble is I've read the Jabsco is loud. The pump's location is right under the forward berth. I'd want to keep it as quiet as possible.

That and my pump is the 5gph model. The part number you posted is a 4gph unit. Not sure if that's going to give me the same experience.

Huh, never looked. Thats the model they gave for the replacment of the 5.7 unit. Unless your washing dishes, taking a shower and rinsing the swim platform all at the same time, I have to think 4 gpm is plenty adequate

'14 Cruisers 380 Express "Simon Sez"
Merc 8.2 Mag MPI 380
DTS B3X, (x2) Axius Premier

(SOLD)
'08 V318
Merc 350 Mag MPI 300
DTS Seacore, B3 (x2)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:01 pm 
Shark

I replaced my 5.7 with the same PN 5.7 a month ago do to a pressure switch problem (worked when it wanted to, and sometimes when it was not supposed to).

I just went with the same pump cause I liked how the old one worked, it is quiet, and comes with a 3 yr warranty.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:40 am 
wkearney99

I received a pump from a fellow member a few weeks ago. It was only yesterday that I was able to get down there to try installing it. I have been way too occupied with the new house being built. We hope to be in by October 19th.

Anyway, much to my dismay, the diaphragm seal on the pressure switch appears to have a leak. I got it all installed, turned it on and water started dribbling out the underside of the pressure switch housing. I pulled it apart and found the white diaphragm to be rather dry and stiff. Not dry-rotted though. I soaked it a while in water while calling Shurflo.

Turns out that diaphragm is NOT available as a stand-alone part. It only comes in the $59 pressure switch kit. But the tech on the phone was going to see about getting just that part for me, as we've been discussing my pump woes for a while now. Hopefully Shurflo will come to the rescue here and provide just a new diaphragm.

I just cannot eff'ing win with this pump nonsense.

Meanwhile, I discovered why I've been having an intermittent leak... the flush-mount washdown hose I installed in the anchor locker on the bow was riddled with pin hole leaks. Like around a dozen of them! Not cracks, like you'd expect, but tiny pin holes. I think they'd only leak when the hose got warmed up enough by daylight sun to expand. It gets worse, the 15' length is not sold as a replacement! Gee, thanks, another vendor leaving me in the lurch. So I just bought a 20' hose kit and will hack off the hose thread end and retrofit the old compression one that goes into the flush-mount housing.

Ah, boats, yet another hobby vying for all my free time...