www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:28 pm 
Minnow

Just got back from my first outing in our new 2008 H240. The upgraded system sounded pretty decent in the driveway without the engine running. But when we first turned it on after starting the boat up we immediately noticed what seemed like alternator hum(speed sensitive) and spark plug clicking. It was very noticable in all source modes(FM, Sirius, and CD). Now I am familiar with the need for noise filters in aftermarket equipment but I am very surprised to be experiencing this with a factory installed system.

Has anyone else with the "upgrade" system had this happen to them? The components for 2008 are a Sony head unit, Kicker amp, and Sony 2-way speakers. I am going to call my dealer Monday morning to check with the factory for solutions but thought someone might already have had the answer.

2009 Chrysler Aspen 5.7 Hemi

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:18 am 
email admin your custom rank

I did not experience that with my original stock unit an neither should you. It could be that your ground is not adequate. Also, check all of the RCA cord connections at the amp and the headunit to be sure they are all seated all the way. (I had that issue when I upgraded my equipment and found that to be a cause). You can also check to see if any of the power wire for the amp is in direct contact with your speaker RCA's. Maybe moving them around a little will help isolate it?

2007 Sea Ray 290 Sundancer

Current boat
2004 Sea Ray 290 Sun Sport Twin 350 Mags

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 3:51 pm 

As Cincy is eluding to I think it sounds like a problem during the install, bad ground, or other loose connection, etc. I have not had that problem. My problem is the sub is rattling the crap out of the rear bench seat. Still working on solving that without having to turn the sub down to the point of it being useless. I think with some stratigically placed pieces of rubber or the soft side of some white velcro, I'll be able to solve it.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:27 pm 

Also make sure the Ground wire is "straight" no coils. I installed a stereo in my truck once and left some extra Ground coiled up under the seat so I could use it again when I installed my new amp in a different location, and that caused some very bad "altenator" noise. Uncoiled the wire and everything went away.
1. Good ground (Radio and amps)
2. Ground wire short as possible (no extra coiled/looped up)
3. Good connection on RCA's
4. RCA's ran at least 3 inches away from Power and ground cables. (Can be ran together IF you have an expensive Noise canceling pair)

That is where I would start.

2002 Ford F150 Harley Davidson Edition (http://www.nhtoc.com) 378 hp & 465 tq at rear wheels
2008 Honda Accord EX-L w/Nav