www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boat Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:49 pm 
Shark

Hi ,,
I just had a quote from state farm for my new 08 H200 at $355 so I thought thats OK and paid in full. now I get a bill for another $168, The reason is I said it was a 20ft boat, there answer is its 19ft 8ins and thats more expensive so tomorrow i will measure it from bow to prop and querie it.
anyone heard of such crap

annoyed Ray

Post subject: Re: Boat Insurance
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:52 pm 
230 Mike

My Dad was an insurance adjuster his whole career. I'll always remember when I was a kid and he said to me, "Mike, don't ever buy insurance from a company that has 'farm' in their name."

I won't claim to know the logic behind his admonition, but he was very serious, I've always followed it, and always had better-than-expected claims service from the companies I've used. Thanks, Dad.

On the other hand, my wife-to-be had her car stolen just before we were married. She had it insured with State Farm. We wound up having to get the state insurance commissioner involved to get them to pay a fair settlement. They offered roughly 25% of that.

There are a number of recommended companies for boat insurance. Personally I like BoatUS because they have policies better tailored for boats. Boats aren't cars. They also have great trailering insurance plans. If you're a veteran, people rave about USAA. There are others as well.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

Last edited by 230 Mike on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 pm 
Shark

Ray, I've had my boats insured with State Farm for years. What my agent tells me is pretty much it's not anything to do with how big the engine is, or too much on size, but how many thousands you have it insured for. I had a 2002 H200 just like yours and it was insured for $20,000 and I paid $300/year until it turned either 6 or 7 years old then it went up 20% to $360. He said the weird thing about boats is that unlike cars, they go up in price when they get older. All of my boating friends that have insurance with other companies are all paying more that I am for apples to apples coverage. Since yours is 6 years newer than mine and you probably have it insured for more, I think $355 is a very fair price....

2007 Silverado 1500 CrewCab 4x4

Previous:
2002 Four Winns H200
5.0GXI 270HP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:27 pm 
email admin your custom rank

230 Mike wrote:
If you're a veteran, people rave about USAA. There are others as well.

Unfortunately USAA doesn't insure boats. They have an agreement with Progressive for insuring boats and the quote I received was nearly double the one from Boat US. Too bad. I've used USAA for years and love them....all of my banking is with them, I buy cars through them, insure cars with them (nobody can come close to their rates and customer service), my homeowners is through them, and I have my boat loan through them. If they actually handled boat insurance, I'd do that through them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 pm 
230 Mike

Winedown wrote:

Unfortunately USAA doesn't insure boats.

Is that a recent change? I read many positive reviews about their boat insurance a couple of years ago.

I wouldn't insure a wheelbarrow with Progressive.

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:16 am 

We have everything with USAA and they are great...and yes, our boat insurance is through Progressive. Our boat policy was half what Boat US quoted us...$165 a year and we carry some pretty high limits due to an umbrella policy we have.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:22 am 
268 Vista

Dump State Farm, they are a rip off for Boat Insurance. We got 7 quotes for our boat when we insured it this spring. Knowone even came close to http://www.globalmarineinsurance.com/

We did the same thing with our last two boats, and Global beat them all, and with high limit policy too.

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:29 am 

Good timing as I had my boat insurance statement sitting on my desk. I have my boat insured through Allied. For comparison, my cost is $400 for $40k in coverage with $1k deductible. Funny thing is my old 1975 Delta 18' had $3.5k in coverage with $500 deductible and still ran me almost $200/year.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:46 am 

Wet Doggg wrote:
We have everything with USAA and they are great...and yes, our boat insurance is through Progressive. Our boat policy was half what Boat US quoted us...$165 a year and we carry some pretty high limits due to an umbrella policy we have.

Interesting....when we bought boat #1 the quote they gave us was higher and when we priced insurance for boat #2 they were still way higher. I wonder why your quote came in so much lower than Boat US.....type of boat maybe? Pocket cruiser for us so maybe that's why.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:13 pm 

I pay 307 a year for my 200ss plus the trailer with a great coverage package from Progressive.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:28 am 
Nauti Luv

pay about 430 for my boat insurance through Foremost (Owned by Farmers Ins)...identical boat.

Previous Boats:
1999 298 Vista "Seas The Day"
2008 H200SS "Nauti Luv"
2006 Tahoe Q4

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:31 am 

Winedown wrote:
230 Mike wrote:
If you're a veteran, people rave about USAA. There are others as well.

Unfortunately USAA doesn't insure boats. They have an agreement with Progressive for insuring boats and the quote I received was nearly double the one from Boat US. Too bad. I've used USAA for years and love them....all of my banking is with them, I buy cars through them, insure cars with them (nobody can come close to their rates and customer service), my homeowners is through them, and I have my boat loan through them. If they actually handled boat insurance, I'd do that through them as well.

I have my boat loan and insurance with USAA but you are correct, they don't actually offer the insurance themselves...they have preferred partners. What I found out is that the first preferred partner is Progressive and their quotes were way high for me. After asking some questions, I found out that USAA also partners with Markal American...and their rates were far better. Call and ask more questions!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:20 pm 

It's hard to compare prices on a website being about every zip has its own rate. I use progressive by USAA and like them. A comment on your question, did they not ask for your VIN for a quote?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 am 
Clownfish

What grinds me is paying full insurance on a boat that is not being used!! We have two boats, one that we bought this year, and one for sale. Has not seen the water, and is sitting on the trailer. Still paying $500 a year for the thing not to even move!! Not a lot of chance of damage when it isn't being used!! :evil:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:53 pm 

wbiii wrote:
What grinds me is paying full insurance on a boat that is not being used!! We have two boats, one that we bought this year, and one for sale. Has not seen the water, and is sitting on the trailer. Still paying $500 a year for the thing not to even move!! Not a lot of chance of damage when it isn't being used!! :evil:

I'm confused, who are you mad at?