www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Storage Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:52 pm 
Seahorse

Okay guys I need your help decided on which path I need to take on storing my boat.

Since the boat won't fit in my garage I have to keep it in my back yard. My yard is almost an acre and not all grass at this time. It was new construction and I would say 2/3 is now centipede. Currently it's sitting behind my storage building which is 10x16 so it's not hidden but that really isn't a priority. The area back there is sandy and I've parked the trailer on a couple treated 2x12's to keep the tires out of the dirt. I'm sure the first time it rains mud will get on the tires and dust will cover the outside. The only cover I have is the cockpit canvas which should keep the inside sheltered.

First option is a 14x26 slab and tarp.

Second option is bringing in some gravel and the factory trailering cover.

If we get the slab we may get a carport one day but the one we would get is around 2k and that's not happening anytime soon.

We live in SC if that should play a part in our decision.

Soooo, what would you do?

Post subject: Re: Storage Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:02 pm 
email admin your custom rank

SC?

Run it all year!

:wink:

2003 268 Vista ..................................................................Prior: 97 245 Sundowner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:05 pm 
268 Vista

Take the tires off the trailer, put it up on blocks and buy one of these to cover the entire boat, in addition to your boat covers. Don't even bother with gravel or a pad. Only $300

Current Boat: 2004 Chaparral 235 ssi cuddy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:13 pm 
All Night Long

Cap'n Morgan wrote:
Take the tires off the trailer, put it up on blocks and buy one of these to cover the entire boat, in addition to your boat covers. Don't even bother with gravel or a pad. Only $300

+1 on the portable shelter as long as it is secured and you can get totally enclosed. Those things get ripped to shreds in a windstorm if not properly secured.

I would say that a concrete pad is always VERY nice to have if you can afford it.

My vote is a concrete pad and a portable shelter... Then, when the portable shelter goes south in a few years, you'll either want a bigger boat anyway, or you can build a garage or carport or something.

You've got some land... use it. barns and outbuildings (when done correctly) are always a good investment for your home. You'll get your money back on it. Same for the concrete pad (RV parking).

finished concrete shouldn't run you more than 3-4 bucks a square foot... so, a 10 X 20 (or bigger if you can swing it), is still very affordable. A nice, 15X30 outbuilding on your property would probably be a good investment (and a nice shop!) It would give you room on both sides, support anice, 12' wide X 8' tall garage door quite easily...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:17 pm 
230 Mike

I vote for a pad also, if money allows, and then as much shelter over it as you can. If a portable is what the budget allows for now, you will have lost next to nothing later on when you decide to build the permanent barn.

I wish I had your options!

Mike
2005 Four Winns 230/240
VP 5.7GXi/DP
1998 F-150 XLT
Boat Pic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:37 pm 
Seahorse

The pad is going to cost $800 which isn't bad from what I've read. I really hate doing things twice but that's been my theme this year...We just spent 3k on a 10x16 storage building. Too bad, because I could have put that money towards a shop that I really could have used and then the boat would be in a much better place!

I'll start with the slab and then as money permits I'll move on to a permanent solution.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:43 pm 

I would pour a 15' x 30' pad now and put a portable shelter on top of it. Use concrete drill-in anchors to secure the frame down and you ill have the shelter for many years!
Buya good quality portable shelter if you want it to last or plan on replacing it every third or fourth year. I have indoor unheated storage available for our offseason at a rate of $15 per foot. Have you looked around to see what is available? Ask around you will be surprised who rents out their barns and warehouses.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:57 pm 
Seahorse

Just out of curiosity, why 15x30? Is that a standard size?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:41 pm 

itguy wrote:
Just out of curiosity, why 15x30? Is that a standard size?

No the standard is probably 10 or 12 x 20? The larger size will allow you to expand the size of your boat later ( It WILL eventually happen!) the extra width is nice so that you can be standing on the pad when washing or working instead of in the muck, grass or whatever is around.

Sorry I probably should have expanded a little more on my thoughts above.

'89 Chaparral Laser 32

'93 Vista 245, 5.8L w/ King Cobra

Former Boats
'01 H260, 7.4 VP Duoprop
'98 H200, 5.0 GL w/VP SX drive

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:35 pm 
All Night Long

itguy wrote:
The pad is going to cost $800 which isn't bad from what I've read. I really hate doing things twice but that's been my theme this year...We just spent 3k on a 10x16 storage building. Too bad, because I could have put that money towards a shop that I really could have used and then the boat would be in a much better place!

I'll start with the slab and then as money permits I'll move on to a permanent solution.

Thanks!

Don't blink about the 10 X 16 shed - that's where you can park your riding lawn mower and keep your 'yard equipment'. Surely you don't want to mix the two. :D And with an acre of yard, I'd plant lots of grass just to convince the wife that I NEED a riding lawn mower - preferably red with cup holders and a stereo.

As for the concrete pad... Find where/how it fits on your land the best and just get as big as you can. Between 2-foot-itis and the fact that I have NEVER heard anyone say their shop is too small... you can't go wrong. try to give yourself 3-4 feet in all directions of the boat so you can move around it on the concrete pad. And yes, definitely plan for the case where you get a larger boat -- because you will. If you don't, whoever buys your house someday will want a 30+ foot RV or boat to park there. Bigger is better when it comes to concrete pads.

I can only wish I was on your position. My 3200 square foot house sits on 5900 of land... my yard is barely big enough for my bulldog to stretch out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:46 pm 

Cap'n Morgan wrote:

Where'd you find that one Cap'n? I found a 12' x 24' at BJ's for about that, but I'd like to look at others.

Previous boats:
2009 H180 3.0VP
1996 Horizon QX 3.0VP

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:17 pm 

cougarcruiser wrote:
I can only wish I was on your position. My 3200 square foot house sits on 5900 of land... my yard is barely big enough for my bulldog to stretch out.

Oh, only a 3200 square foot house? Man, that's roughing it! :roll: Just kidding.

I'm actually looking for a portable shelter just like that. I had a slab put in a while back but it's so damn hot here in the summer that I think it's damaging my vinyl and my cover is certainly taking a beating. I think I found one on ebay, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

FYI - my side yard is only 13' wide - just wide enough, but like others have said, if you have the space, go bigger!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:48 pm 

put me down for a vote on the slab. You'll be so glad to have it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:00 am 
Guppy

put the pad in a place that's easily backupable (you know easy to get the boat to when returning home) IMO that makes a huge difference too. I don't think i'd like to have to make a 20 point turn while backing up just to get the trailer into/onto the pad/garage lol. IMO best place is at the end of the driveway that way its straight back and straight out lol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am 
Narwhal

nhprinter wrote:
Cap'n Morgan wrote:

Where'd you find that one Cap'n? I found a 12' x 24' at BJ's for about that, but I'd like to look at others.

Right click on the image, then select properties - you'll see the url for storage solutions.