www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:28 pm 
Dolphin

Since I had the props off I figured I should check the drive oil "just in case". Well, the "latte" colored stuff that oozed out at first is pretty heartbreaking. It looks like I got some water in the drive. :cry: Also, though I can detect no external sign of a leak, the oil level was pretty low.

I estimate less than an ounce of water was mixed into the oil, but the drive was close to a quart low on oil. I didn't do the last oil change, so I can't be certain if the mechanic put in enough or not, though he is an experienced Volvo Penta mechanic.

My first thought is to drain the outdrive, run some lightweight oil through from the top to help flush out any water, then pump in fresh gear oil and button it up with fresh o-rings. Then give it a run in the water and re-check after.

Am I likely to cause harm doing that?

Anything I can check before handing it over to a mechanic to pull the drive and charge me big bucks?

Rich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:41 pm 
Clownfish

The fact it was low on oil would suggest it has a leak. I'd pressure test it first before doing anything else. No point putting new oil in if a leak test reveals it needs to come apart.

You can rig up a simple pressure tester with a car valve, gauge & some tubing. The oil filler bottles have a handy fitting usually that you can nick to complete the test. Done many a mercury this way though not a Penta but I'm sure they are the same.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:56 pm 
email admin your custom rank

I agree unless you can clearly see it was leaking from the drain n fill gaskets I'd check for a leak otherwise it's a waste of gear oil. If you got a leak pull the drive and get it resealed at a shop.

2008 Walker Bay 8

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:03 pm 

Didn't you hit something a few weeks back? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:46 pm 

I do recall props getting damaged....
When I pull my boat out mid season to do the needed salt water maintenance, I always pull the bottom plug to make sure there's no water in the gear oil.....
I have a couple of mechanics that I do business with every year (buy parts from one, even tho internet is cheaper because I know that they would re-seal the drive for me if I brought it to them), the other I have do my bottom paint and I rent the mooring from him, he would also do it for me. I know everyone loves the unlimited free market internet, but when you need a repair that you can't really do yourself, a good local mechanic can save your season.....

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:46 pm 
Dolphin

JeffLW wrote:
Didn't you hit something a few weeks back? :shock:

Yep, that's why the props were off. The rear prop I had repaired, and replaced the front prop (with a reconditioned used unit). Some of y'all had recommended checking for water in the drive, so that's why I checked (I just waited until I had the new prop in-hand to pull the front prop).

I also found some evidence of leakage around the "vent" plug (the one on the back of the drive about 6 inches below the top), and it's o-ring was in rough shape. If I'm really lucky, that's the problem.

The good news is that today I found a local outfit that specializes in parts for Volvo (cars and marine), and also has a shop with Volvo Penta certified mechanics. I guess having them do a pressure/vac test will be my next step.

BUT, check out what I found on the magnetic "vent" plug:

I have no idea how long that's been in there because the mechanic I had change the drive oil in July didn't pull it, but it isn't pretty no matter how I look at it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:06 pm 

Dang bud....that plug has splinter shavings and I would get it torn down and checked/repaired. Sorry to see that....if you hit something that caused all this plus prop damage you may check insurance policy.

08' H210SS
VP 5.7Gi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:18 pm 

Yep that's way more than any fuzz I've had on my dog clutch shifted Cobra even tho its 26 years old. If you have it I'd keep the receipt for the prop repair because that's good proof of impact damage for insurance.

2008 Walker Bay 8

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:53 pm 
Dolphin

BTW, none of the metal on magnetic plug was very large at all, despite how it looked. Once I pulled it off, it was pretty much powder; nothing big enough to call a shaving.

So the question is, is this a case where running it can mean a $500 repair turns into a $5,000 repair, or is is more a case of whatever is damaged is damaged, and as long it it still works (no vibration, rattling, hard shifting, or odd noises) I can carry on for a while (IF I don't keep getting water in the oil)?

Thanks,
-- Rich