www.iFourWinns.com

Dedicated to Current and Future Owners
It is currently Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:22 am 
Tadpole

I have a 2007 20 ft Four Winns Horizon. The throttle seems like it has always had this issue since I bought the boat new. At idle speed the throttle is very stiff/sticky to increase RPMs slightly above idle. When it gets past a certain point if moves smoothly, but its difficult to control low RPMs just past idle. Has anyone experienced this issue and is it easy to diagnose and fix? I thought about replacing the single throttle/shift with a separate dual control, but I'd prefer not to do that if the single control is fixable. Can anyone help me out? Thanks, Paul

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:58 am 
email admin your custom rank

I was having similar problems with the throttle on our 268 last season, so over the winter I replaced the shift cable with a Teleflex TF Extreme cable. It made a ton of difference and now I can work the throttle in and out of gear with almost no effort.

Cables stretch and get dirty/corroded inside their housing. It's a cheap fix and easy fix if that's your problem.

P.S. Welcome to the forum!!

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:52 pm 
Tadpole

Nice boat! Thanks for the reply. I called the service department where I bought the boat from and they suggested I have both cables replaced with their higher end cables. So it's been a while since I've worked on stuff such as this. How hard is it to disconnect everything and replace the cables myself?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:28 pm 
email admin your custom rank

Pkbear wrote:
Nice boat! Thanks for the reply. I called the service department where I bought the boat from and they suggested I have both cables replaced with their higher end cables. So it's been a while since I've worked on stuff such as this. How hard is it to disconnect everything and replace the cables myself?

I'm not sure if you have the Mercruiser or the Volvo, but mine is a Volvo and was very easy. I removed the shift housing cover at the helm and the outdrive cover. Disconnected the cable from both ends. Taped the new cable to the end of the old cable and pulled it through...reattached at both ends. I had a friend help guide it through, and push the cable as I pulled. It took about a 1/2 hour to complete.

Also if you input your boats info here you can find the part# for the correct cable http://parts.fwdealer.com/

1979 AMF Alcort Puffer
Previous:
2003 FW190 Horizon
1973 Startcraft 18ft "Sea Pickle"